American Red Cross Assists Beale Street Fire Victims
A family of five was forced to leave their Milton home after a Sunday morning fire.
An unattended candle caused a fire in a single family Milton home early Sunday morning. American Red Cross volunteers responded to the scene to assist the family, which includes five people and two dogs.
Around 4:50 a.m. on December 30, Massachusetts State Police dispatchers received a cell phone call reporting a fire at 435 Beale Street. The Quincy Fire Department responded to the scene. They were eventually met by Milton firefighters when it was realized the blaze was in Milton, according to Milton Deputy Fire Chief Kevin Mahoney.
Mahoney said a Milton Fire investigator took over after the fire was knocked down. It was determined that a candle in a second flood bedroom caused the fire. The fire was mainly contained to the second flood, Mahoney said.
Red Cross volunteers provided the family with food, clothing shoes and seasonal garments as well as emergency funds. One person was given a hotel stay, while the others are staying with friends, according to Ashley Studley, American Red Cross of Eastern Massachusetts.