Invite a friend
"Segregated Lives" Film Series with Jeff Stoodt: Film #3 - "Liberty Heights"
Jeff Stoodt, Milton middle school teacher, will screen the last film in his series related to the Milton Reads "To Kill A Mockingbird" program. It is the 1999 movie by Barry Levinson (Diner, Tin Men) called Liberty Heights, starring Joe Mategna, Bebe Neuwirth, and Adrien Brody. This overlooked gem examines the cultural currents flowing in Baltimore in 1954. It's the age of the atomic bomb, rock 'n roll and the civil rights movement, and the two brothers aren't impervious to the tumult. Being raised in a Jewish neighborhood, the boys shellshock their parents: one falls in love with a blue-eyed Protestant, the other with a black girl. It is rated R for language and some thematic material. Screening is at 6:30 sharp in the Keys Community Roon (lower level), with trivia about the film at 6:15. This program is sponsored by The Friends of the Milton Public Library, free popcorn will be served, and it is free and open to the public. For more info, call Jean Hlady at (617) 698-5757.
More About Milton Public Library
This three-story library offers a variety of cultural experiences for children, teens, and adults. Aside from a variety of books and reference materials, the library also displays art throughout the building, and hosts a range of events. The Milton Public Library opened at its current location on the corner of Canton Avenue and Reedsdale Road in 1904. Since that time, the facility has undergone a series of updates and renovations.
Other events here
- Chat with Job Doctor Roni Noland Weekly on Mondays, 10:30 am–12:00 pm
- Friends Book Shop Sale Weekly on Tuesdays, 10:00 am–2:00 pm
- Public Library: Small Wonders Weekly on Wednesdays, 10:00 am–10:30 am
- Friends Book Shop Sale Weekly on Wednesdays, 6:30 pm–8:30 pm
- French classes Weekly on Thursdays, 4:00 pm–4:45 pm
- Wakefield Estate Talk: Open Garden Days Thu, May 23, 7:00 pm–8:00 pm
- Wakefield Estate Offers Preview of Open Days Program of Milton Gardens Thu, May 23, 7:00 pm–8:00 pm
- Time for Tales at the Library Weekly on Fridays,
- Time for Tales Weekly on Fridays, 10:30 am–11:00 am
- Friends Book Shop Sale Weekly on Saturdays, 10:00 am–2:00 pm