1. The Hunger Games: Total Film called this adaptation of the best-selling book as “the most influential film made in years.” Set in a dystopian future America, it fuses the teenage-angst of Twilight with American Gladiators in a fight to the death. It starts showing at cinemas across the South Shore from midnight tonight and will dominate the screens for the entire weekend. Tickets are available online now or in person at the numerous screenings advertised.
2. Wine & Food Tasting: If you prefer to spend your Friday evening sampling the delights of South African wine, the Fruit Center will be hosting an event at the Marketplace Café. Running from 6-7:30 p.m., wine-lovers will be able to meet Ken Forrester (owner of Ken Forrester Vineyards in Stellenbosch, South Africa) and sample his featured wines. Tickets are $45. Call first to confirm that places are still available (617-696-5274). Each attendee will receive four small-plate courses plus a $10 Fruit Center gift card.
3. Spring Party and Auction: The annual charitable event to benefit the students and programs of St. Mary of the Hills School will take place on Friday evening from 7 p.m. at the Milton Hoosic Club. Live music will be provided by Pauline Wells who will be joined on stage by Devri, an Irish band from Boston. The theme of the evening is “Around The World” with appetizers reflecting the international nature of the school. Tickets are $50 (available on the door); there will be a cash bar and a live auction.
4. Art Exhibitions: Peirce Middle School will be holding an Arts Festival on Saturday from 2-4 p.m. and admission is free. More free art can be found in the form of “Spring Forward” and “Into The Night” which continue to be on display at the Milton Art Center and Gallery Seven respectively. Both of these feature local artists and run until the middle of April.
5. Health & Fitness: This weather this weekend will encourage many residents to either hit the beach or spend some time hiking in the blue hills but for those that prefer to exercise indoors, there is a Yoga Boot Camp on Saturday at Milton Yoga. Starting at 11 a.m. and lasting for an hour, this is an ideal opportunity to learn just how flexible you are (or not as the case may be). Tickets are $10 and everyone is welcome, irrespective of levels of fitness.